Racing: Aintree to rebuild stands
Tuesday 11 May 2004
Aintree have announced major plans for a £30m redevelopment, which will include new grandstands, a parade ring and winner's enclosure.
A planning application was submitted to Sefton Council last week and construction work is expected to begin immediately after next year's National meeting. The project will be completed in two phases and is planned to be finished in time for the 2007 National fixture. The rebuilding will be paid for from Aintree's own resources as well as with money from the Levy Board and European and regional funding.
* Newcastle will inspect at 1.30pm today to decide if tomorrow's meeting can go ahead. James Armstrong, the clerk of the course, said: "At the moment there are areas of the track that are unraceable, but the forecast is for it to be dry, and that is in our favour."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs West Brom: Jose Mourinho says Diego Costa is ready for ‘marathon’ Christmas
Arsenal vs Manchester United: Arsene Wenger insists clash at the Emirates Stadium remains battle of the giants
Tim Sherwood column: If David Moyes' bold move works it will open doors for British managers
Cesc Fabregas, Jack Wilshere, Yaya Toure or Steven Gerrard? No, it's Mile Jedinak who is the best midfielder in the Premier League
Manchester United transfer news: Robin van Persie could leave this summer with Edinson Cavani and Thomas Muller on United wish-list
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Largest ever study into the gay gene 'erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Trainee Sales Account Manager...