Racing: Reilly lodges appeal to overturn suspension
Tuesday 09 January 2007
Brian Reilly has lodged an appeal against the 18 month disqualification imposed by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority in its corruption investigation. Fellow rider Dean Williams has decided not to contest the same ban, which starts today.
The jockeys were warned off for their involvement with the bookmaker Owen Churchill. He was disqualified for eight years for instigating a corrupt scheme which netted £56,000 from laying 10 horses.
* Jamie Spencer received a 10-day ban yesterday for his riding of Mickmacmagoole at Southwell over a year ago. Although in breach of the rule which covers failure to take all reasonable measures to obtain the best possible placing, he was found not guilty of breaking the more serious "non-triers" rule, which covers intent to not ride the horse on its merits.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Latest in Sport
Tottenham to use controversial blood-spinning technique to speed Jan Vertonghen return
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Transfer news: Wayne Rooney sparks Manchester United exit rumours after rejecting new contract talks - reports
Champions League last 16 draw 2013: Who could Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United meet?
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 3 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 4 Not all right on the night
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior Netwo...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Boutique Practice...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher York.(Full-tim...
£62000 Per Annum plus benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client ba...