Racing: Reilly lodges appeal to overturn suspension
Tuesday 09 January 2007
Brian Reilly has lodged an appeal against the 18 month disqualification imposed by the Horseracing Regulatory Authority in its corruption investigation. Fellow rider Dean Williams has decided not to contest the same ban, which starts today.
The jockeys were warned off for their involvement with the bookmaker Owen Churchill. He was disqualified for eight years for instigating a corrupt scheme which netted £56,000 from laying 10 horses.
* Jamie Spencer received a 10-day ban yesterday for his riding of Mickmacmagoole at Southwell over a year ago. Although in breach of the rule which covers failure to take all reasonable measures to obtain the best possible placing, he was found not guilty of breaking the more serious "non-triers" rule, which covers intent to not ride the horse on its merits.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...