Brough keeps Giants on top with vintage performance against Bulls


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Half-back Danny Brough inspired Huddersfield to their fourth straight Super League success and maintained their place at the top of the table with a 20-6 victory at the Bradford Bulls yesterday.

The Giants came from behind to lead at half-time, with tries from Jermaine McGillvary and Luke George in response to Michael Platt's score. The second period belonged to Brough, who scored two penalties and a try as the visitors took control.

Early on, Danny Addy kicked a penalty to give Bradford the lead after Joe Wardle's infringement, and Mick Potter's side continued to impress, but a moment of magic from Brough brought the visitors back into it.

He darted through a gap in the Bulls line, and when it looked as though he would be swamped by the recovering defence, a swirling crossfield kick picked out McGillvary, who dived over in the corner.

Bradford's forward pack forced a string of sets and, when Shaun Ainscough was held up short of the line, a clever offload found Platt in at the corner for a try.

Huddersfield regained the lead before half-time through George and after the break Brough converted a penalty. Tempers boiled over when a scuffle emerged at the ruck, and ended with Giants' Luke O'Donnell making his way to the sin-bin.

However, Brough, whose kicking had moved the leaders all over the park throughout the afternoon, got the try his performance deserved and added the extras.

Pat Richards scored a hat-trick as Wigan thrashed Hull FC 56-12. The Warriors ran in 28 unanswered points in a first half that saw two tries for Richards as well as scores for Gareth Hock, Sam Tomkins and Josh Charnley. Jamie Ellis and Will Sharp got the hosts on the scoreboard but Charnley ran in his second, Richards got his third and Michael McIlorum went over. Thomas Leuluai and Brett Finch completed the scoring.

Wakefield held on to see off a strong second-half challenge by Salford to run out 26-22 winners. Dean Collis and Danny Washbrook put Wakefield in control before Daniel Holdsworth scored Salford's first try.

Frankie Mariano and Peter Fox then went over to give the Wildcats a 22-6 lead at the break but Chris Nero's try reduced the deficit after the restart. Ashley Gibson's two late tries made it a nervy finish for the Wildcats.