Broughton returns to haunt Hull

Salford City Reds 27 Hull 20
Click to follow

Two second-half tries against his former team-mates by Jodie Broughton guided Salford to only their second win of the season. The winger, who spent part of last season on loan to Hull from Leeds, produced two clinical pieces of finishing that tipped the balance in a dramatic game.

"Both tries he wasn't really entitled to score," Shaun McRae, his coach, said. "He's shown great strength and determination."

The first half was notable mainly for the rare event of Salford taking the lead – not once but twice. Craig Fitzgibbon's knock on and a penalty gave them the chance to exert early pressure, with Adam Sidlow barging over from a pass by Daniel Holdsworth, who also added the goal.

It was not a lead that lasted long. A kick from Sean Long took an eccentric deflection off a Salford defender to allow him to score the equalising try – but back came Salford. The excellent Holdsworth released Ste Tyrer on the right wing and his kick infield bounced off Reece Lyne, the 17-year-old debutant winger, for Karl Fitzpatrick to touch down.

Hull's response again came via Long's boot, this time setting up Kirk Yeaman. More damagingly, Salford went behind for the first time just before half-time, when Epalahame Lauaki's brute strength was too much for a succession of tacklers.

Salford's reply, however, was some fluent handling that culminated in Willie Talau's pass to Broughton, who shrugged off three tacklers to score.

Their next try was a freak, Tyrer somehow dragging the ball back from touch-in-goal for Fitzpatrick to claim his second.

Lyne brought Hull level with a try to mark his first appearance, but the Talau and Broughton combination struck again for a six-point lead with 15 minutes still to play.

An increasingly desperate Hull, who would have gone second had they won, battered away at that advantage – with Talau making a crucial tackle on Richard Whiting – and the game was not safe until Holdsworth's last minute drop-goal.

"We probably shouldn't have been in the game although we had a chance to nick it at the end," Richard Agar, the Hull coach, admitted.

Salford Fitzpatrick; Broughton, Henry, Talau, Tyrer; M.Smith, Holdsworth; Cashmere, Alker, Boyle, Sidlow, Adamson, Swain.

Substitutes used: Littler, Parker, Jewitt, Gibson.

Hull Tansey; Lyne, Whiting, Yeaman, Briscoe; Turner, Long; O'Meley, Berrigan, Radford, Manu, Tickle, Fitzgibbon.

Substitutes used: Dowes, Lauaki, Houghton, Moa.

Referee: J Child (Dewsbury).