Brown agrees to take over at Saints next season
Wednesday 04 April 2012
St Helens got their man yesterday when Huddersfield's Nathan Brown agreed to take over as head coach from next season. The 38-year-old Brown, who is in his fourth season in Super League, will succeed fellow Australian Royce Simmons after he completes his commitments with the Giants in October.
Caretaker coaches Mike Rush and Keiron Cunningham, who have enjoyed outstanding victories over Leeds and Warrington since taking over from Simmons, are expected to stay in charge until the end of the season when Brown will take up a three-year contract.
The St Helens chairman, Eamonn McManus, said: "We are extremely pleased that Nathan will be joining us next season. I believe he is ideally suited for the Saints both with regard to the way we want to play and as to what we aim to achieve in terms of success."
Brown became Saints' first choice to succeed Simmons – who was sacked after the club's worst ever run in Super League – once the former head coach Daniel Anderson ruled out a return.
Brown has turned Huddersfield into a major force in Super League, with a Challenge Cup final appearance in his first season and taking the Giants to within 80 minutes of a maiden Grand Final in 2010.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail