Castleford stadium switch delayed

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Castleford have admitted that the new stadium which they hoped would assure their Super League future will not be ready for next season.

Cas had planned to move to a purpose-built ground at nearby Glasshoughton in 2012, but have now changed track over the sale of their existing home at Wheldon Road.

The Probiz Coliseum – previously The Jungle – was originally earmarked for housing development. In the light of the recession, however, the Tigers have negotiated a deal that will see it become a shopping centre.

The club’s chief executive, Richard Wright, said that Castleford were fortunate to be one of the few to own their own grounds.

“It makes no sense to rush through the sale of our biggest asset at a vastly reduced price,” he said. “This is a much better deal.”

Castleford are one of four clubs to be put on notice by the Rugby League that they need new or redeveloped grounds if they are to retain their Super League licences.

Work has begun on new stadia for St Helens and Salford, although not for Castleford’s neighbours, Wakefield.

A club from the Championship will be identified next week for promotion to Super League next season. The club they will replace will not be revealed until July.

Crusaders, who play at Castleford on Sunday, have finally got clearance for the three remaining members of their squad.

Rhys Hanbury and Frank Winterstein, who played for the club last season, plus the new signing, Hep Cahill, have all been given the go-ahead by the UK Borders Agency and are expected to arrive within the next few days.

“Having these three guys is massive for us,” said Crusaders’ coach, Iestyn Harris. “It has been a long and frustrating wait.”

Paul Clough, who was stretchered off at Leeds last weekend with a shoulder injury, is out of St Helens’ team to play Bradford tonight, along with Scott Moore, who has failed in his appeal against a one-match suspension.

Nine men from Leeds have been convicted of offences at the Challenge Cup tie between Doncaster and the amateur club, Queens, two years ago which caused the match to be abandoned.

One man was given a six-month suspended jail sentence for grievous bodily harm, another convicted of affray and the seven others of violent disorder.

You can hear more from Dave Hadfield in the latest edition of The Independent's rugby league podcast PROBIZ Tryline. Click here for more details.

Comments