The Australian National Rugby League plunged to an embarrassing low yesterday with the Sydney Roosters fined $64,000 and Queensland Origin star Nate Myles suspended for six games for defecating on the floor of a Central Coast hotel while in a drunken stupor.
The Queensland forward was found shortly after 8am on Sunday morning, disoriented and naked in a hotel corridor after he had attempted to gain entry into the room of a family who was leaving their accommodation.
A short time after his entry was refused he was found to have defecated elsewhere in the hotel corridor and was later discovered in a fire escape.
Furious NRL chief executive David Gallop has blasted the behaviour of Myles, suspending him until round 24 and banning him from playing in Queensland's Origin III side next Wednesday.
"There can be no ambiguity about the behaviour and there can be no excuse," Gallop said.
"The facts around the incident are clear and players have to accept personal responsibility.
"I respect the fact that Nate tried to make amends to the guests involved and that he rang me to apologise but saying sorry simply isn't enough.
"There are many inspirational people in our game from the grass roots to the NRL and they do not deserve to be associated with this sort of behaviour.
"We make no apology for treating each issue on its merits and on the basis of the facts we have at our disposal at the time."
It is yet another body blow in a season to forget for the NRL and is the third alcohol-related incident involving a Roosters player in as many weeks.
Two weeks ago coach Brad Fittler fined himself A$10,000 for his own drunken episode at Townsville when he was half-naked and attempted to enter a woman's room.
Last week hooker Jake Friend and rookie Sandor Earl were charged with assault after a nightclub scuffle -- Friend accused of assaulting a female.
Gallop said if Myles had been on official team duty, instead of at the Central Coast volunteering at a junior rugby league clinic, then the A$50,000 fine for the Roosters would have been much more severe.
"Clubs, too, need to accept that they need to take control of the behaviour within their organisation and as much as the Roosters have acted in this matter the issue of three alcohol-related incidents in three weeks, not to mention other offences in the year, is unacceptable," he said.
"If this had been an official team function the fine would certainly have been higher."
Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce apologised for the behaviour of the club's star forward, who only recently signed a contract extension at the club.
"This is an embarrassing position for everyone associated with the Roosters but we have to face up to these issues and we need our senior players to be a part of that process," said Noyce.
"We work very hard to reward the faith people place in us and for the most part we achieve that goal.
"Moments like this will only make us work even harder."Reuse content