Gentle is favourite to become Salford coach
Friday 27 May 2011
Salford are getting closer to appointing their new coach, with Peter Gentle flagged up in Australia as the hot favourite.
A Salford delegation has interviewed Gentle, who is assistant coach at Wests Tigers, but they say that there are still other candidates to replace Shaun McRae, who bowed out earlier this month as a result of ill health.
South Sydney's assistant coach, Kurt Wrigley, has turned down an approach, while Leigh's Ian Millward and the City Reds' caretaker coach, Phil Veivers, are British-based names on the short-list.
Ryan Tandy, the Australian prop whose previous clubs include Whitehaven, Widnes and Halifax, has been charged with match-fixing. Tandy is accused of deliberately conceding a penalty as part of an attempted betting coup on an NRL game between Canterbury Bulldogs and the North Queensland Cowboys.
Point-hungry Warrington have another scoring threat back in their side for tonight's game at Leeds. The England scrum-half Richie Myler has been out for five matches since fracturing his eye socket, but he is fit to return.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture