Goulding inspires Salford rising

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The veteran scrum-half Bobbie Goulding made it a cracking Easter weekend for revitalised Salford with a 15-12 win at Halifax yesterday.

Goulding created both tries, kicked three goals and a drop goal all inside the first 15 minutes as Salford recorded back-to-back victories for the first time under coach Steve McCormack. For Halifax it was their fourth defeat in five Super League games.

Fresh from their convincing win over Warrington on Friday, the Reds took the lead after three minutes. Goulding launched a high kick on the sixth tackle which was fumbled by Halifax full-back Daryl Cardiss, the ball falling straight to Francis Maloney who picked up and scored under the posts.

Three minutes later Salford scored again from an almost identical move. This time Goulding's kick bounced high in front of the posts and Mick Wainwright outjumped Cardiss to catch the ball and touch down, Goulding converted both tries and then added a penalty and a drop goal.

Halifax finally got going in the second half, Gavin Clinch scoring under the posts five minutes after the break, Danny Tickle adding the goal. Jamie Thackray, the pick of the Sox players, then evaded the attentions of four Reds tacklers to add a second try. With Tickle converting, Halifax were now only three points adrift but, despite all their late pressure, they could not close the gap.

Bradford demolished Wakefield 44-12 at Belle Vue in the 1,000th Super League match. The Bulls' potency was underlined with a try for Nathan McEvoy in the opening minute. They went on to score four more tries before half-time, four of which were converted by scrum-half Paul Deacon, while Wildcats could only reply with a self-converted try from Graham Law.

Indeed, six minutes into the second-half it looked like being a record score when Bradford substitute Brandon Costin dummied his way through. However, the Wildcats managed to deny the champions another score until the 72nd minute, McEvoy finishing well and Deacon landing his fifth goal.

A hat-trick of tries from prop forward Garreth Carvell saved Hull's blushes as they mounted a tremendous fightback against the London Broncos to win 30-26. He scored the home side's opening try as they went 12-0 ahead only for London to turn the match on its head to lead 26-12 with just over 20 minutes to go. But Carvell rallied Hull, the big prop blasting over for two tries and having a hand in a third to sink London.