Hull FC win race to sign England international Gareth Ellis
Wednesday 21 March 2012
Hull have won the race to sign sought-after England international Gareth Ellis on a three-year deal.
The 30-year-old former Leeds Rhinos second rower attracted the interest of a number of Super League clubs after announcing his intention to return to England from NRL club West Tigers early.
Ellis had a year to run on his contract with the Sydney club and, despite earning rave reviews Down Under, opted to return home for the new season.
Ellis, who will take up his three-year deal in November, had his pick of Super League clubs but opted to link up with Hull's new boss Peter Gentle, who was assistant coach at Wests Tigers until the end of last season.
"I was lucky to have a few clubs interested but I've been listening to Hull and to the ambition they have got and the prospects they're trying to put in place for the future, and the bottom line for me was that it was a great time to be involved with Hull FC," he said.
Gentle said: "If we're looking to take this club to another level, we need the addition of one or two class players to bring out the best of the talented squad we currently have in place and we have definitely achieved that with the signing of Gareth."
- 1 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 2 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Alwaleed bin Talal: Saudi Prince to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS