New Giants coach urges unity


Click to follow
The Independent Online

New Huddersfield coach Paul Anderson is urging his team to "pull together" after watching them suffer an alarming collapse in his first game in charge.

The Giants changed their coach following their Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-final defeat by Warrington, but Anderson could not change their fortunes as they crashed to a 35-14 home defeat against Wakefield.

An eighth defeat in nine matches leaves the one-time Super League leaders unsure of their place in the play-offs.

Anderson's men actually led 14-6 early in the second half but the fragility of their confidence quickly surfaced when the Wildcats mounted a fightback and it was all one-way traffic as the visitors ran in 29 points in as many minutes.

Anderson has six matches left of the regular season to arrest the Giants' slump, starting with a visit to his old club St Helens next Sunday.

"We have to keep on improving individual things," said Anderson. "We've got to keep turning up for each other, whether that's in training or away from the club.

"We have to do things together, that's the sign of a good team."

Anderson rang the changes but opted not to give a debut to Brett Ferres, the back-row forward signed from Castleford before Friday's transfer deadline, who will definitely get his chance against Saints.

"We'll get a few blokes back next week," Anderson added. "Brett will come in. He'll get a game, that's an absolute certainty after that."

Challenge Cup finalists Warrington held off a fightback by Castleford to secure a 40-26 victory that keeps them in touch with leaders Wigan, who were 44-6 winners over London Broncos at the Stoop on Saturday.

The Wolves were coasting to victory midway through the second half when they led 34-0 but the Tigers rallied to score 26 unanswered points and put the game in the balance until Stefan Ratchford finally settled matters with a late try.

Meanwhile, St Helens forward Tony Puletua has been charged with a grade B offence following his dismissal towards the end of his side's 20-15 Stobart Super League win over Catalan Dragons in Perpignan.

Puletua, who was sent off for a shoulder charge on Catalan forward Gregory Mounis, was charged by the Rugby Football League's match-review panel with reckless play.

Leeds half-back Danny McGuire is also facing a grade B offence for making dangerous contact with Bradford full-back Brett Kearney during the Rhinos' 34-16 win over the Bulls.

And Wakefield second rower Ali Lauitiiti has been charged with use of his knees in a tackle on Huddersfield centre Leroy Cudjoe during his side's 35-14 victory at the Galpharm Stadium.