Newton brings Wolves down to earth

Hull KR 40 Warrington Wolves 16
Click to follow
The Independent Online

The Challenge Cup winners are now most unlikely to add a run in the Super League play-offs to this season's adventures. Without suffering from a full-scale Wembley hangover, the Wolves were convincingly beaten by a Rovers side who are one of this year's main success stories. The Robins could yet be a nuisance to the big two, Leeds and St Helens, at the business end of the season. Clint Newton was outstanding for them with his three tries, but this was a thoroughly workmanlike all-round performance.

Warrington made only three changes from their Wembley line-up and the question, as always, was what sort of mood they would be in following their celebrations. There was nothing wrong with them in the fifth minute, when one of their cup-final heroes, Lee Briers, dummied his way through to set up Mickey Higham for the opening try.

Rovers levelled with an equally well-constructed effort, Shaun Briscoe getting the ball to Jake Webster, who stepped inside to find the gap. There was more than a hint of a forward pass about the way Briers then put young Tyrone McCarthy over for his first try for Warrington, but the game continued in its see-sawing fashion with Paul Cooke beating Ben Westwood's tackle to cut the Wolves' lead to two points.

Higham nearly extended it with his second, but he was penalised for a double movement. Newton then put Rovers ahead with one of the most spectacular tries any forward will score this season. Taking the ball on halfway, the second-rower burst through two tackles and backed his pace to score instead of using a supporting player. Before half-time Richie Mathers' loose pass bounced to Kris Welham and Rovers were 10 points ahead.

Warrington could have been right back in the game if Lee Mitchell had not fumbled Michael Monaghan's pass with the line open. Instead, Welham seized upon another loose ball to send Peter Fox away. Chris Hicks got one back for Warrington but Newton thundered over from Michael Dobson's pass before completing his hat-trick from Liam Colbon's inside pass.

Hull Kingston Rovers: Briscoe; Fox, Welham, Webster, Colbon; Cooke, Dobson; Vella, Fitzhenry, Wheeldon, Newton, Walker, Murrell. Substitutes used: Galea, Cockayne, Netherton, Fozzard.

Warrington: Mathers; Riley, Blythe, V Anderson, Hicks; Briers, Monaghan, Morley, Higham, Carvell, L Anderson, Harrison, Westwood. Substitutes used: Cooper, Rauhihi, McCarthy, Mitchell.

Referee: R Silverwood (Mirfield).