Praise for 'inspirational' Prescott
Friday 01 January 2010
The Rugby League has congratulated Steve Prescott, who has been awarded an MBE in the New Year Honours List for his charity work.
The 36-year-old former St Helens, Hull and Wakefield full-back has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds since being diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer in 2006. He has combined his course of chemotherapy with a series of gruelling fund-raising ventures, often involving players he lined up with and against.
"He is a truly inspiring individual," said the League's executive chairman, Richard Lewis.
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia