Praise for 'inspirational' Prescott
Friday 01 January 2010
The Rugby League has congratulated Steve Prescott, who has been awarded an MBE in the New Year Honours List for his charity work.
The 36-year-old former St Helens, Hull and Wakefield full-back has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds since being diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer in 2006. He has combined his course of chemotherapy with a series of gruelling fund-raising ventures, often involving players he lined up with and against.
"He is a truly inspiring individual," said the League's executive chairman, Richard Lewis.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'