Prescott completes Wigan's injury woe

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Struggling Wigan have lost yet another forward for the remainder of the season. The 19-year-old prop Paul Prescott, who was promoted to first-team duty by the club's new coach, Ian Millward, has damaged knee ligaments and will not play again this year.

Struggling Wigan have lost yet another forward for the remainder of the season. The 19-year-old prop Paul Prescott, who was promoted to first-team duty by the club's new coach, Ian Millward, has damaged knee ligaments and will not play again this year.

Including the departed Andrew Farrell and Luke Davico, who was forced to retire by injury, Wigan now have five forwards ruled out for the rest of the campaign, with Millward admitting that there is no chance of Sean O'Loughlin and Gareth Hock playing again, even if Wigan should reach the Grand Final.

On top of that, Farrell's successor as captain, Kris Radlinski, has suffered a recurrence of a hamstring injury and could be out for a month, while Kevin Brown may also miss Friday night's game against Hull with a twisted ankle. Another of the club's front-rowers, Danny Sculthorpe, has withdrawn his appeal against a two-match ban for striking and will complete it that night.

The Rugby League's director of match officials, Stuart Cummings, has supported Richard Silverwood over the way he dealt with an unusual situation last Friday night. The Leeds captain, Kevin Sinfield, indicated that he intended to kick for goal after being awarded a penalty at the end of the match against Hull. Instead, he kicked to the corner for Rob Burrow to follow up and touch down.

Silverwood awarded the penalty against Sinfield and Cummings said he had been correct to do so. "If the referee thinks it's a deliberate attempt not to kick at goal, then it's a penalty,'' he said.

Comments