Raynor facing police fraud investigation

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The availability of the Hull and Great Britain winger, Gareth Raynor, for the World Cup is unclear after he was questioned by police about an alleged counterfeit ink cartridge fraud.

Raynor spent several hours at Beverley Police Station being interviewed about the matter and Humberside Police said that inquiries, also involving East Riding Trading Standards officers, were continuing.

Raynor already has a six-month suspended prison sentence hanging over him after admitting a charge of racially aggravated common assault over an attack on a doorman at a lap-dancing club in Blackpool at Preston Crown Court last month.

His solicitor, Bill Waddington, issued a statement through Hull FC acknowledging that he had been interviewed about alleged offences under the Trademarks Act.

"Any wrongdoing by Mr Raynor is categorically denied," he said.

Raynor is not involved in this Sunday's match at Bradford because he is serving a one-match ban for striking an opponent.

He is, however, a certain selection for Hull's Challenge Cup final against St Helens on 30 August and equally likely to be in England's squad for the World Cup in Australia in October and November.

Saints' Leon Pryce, another certainty for the tournament, is facing assault charges that could jeopardise his involvement. The loss of one or both of the players would be a severe blow to the England coach, Tony Smith.

Salford, who have denied agreeing terms with Paul Sculthorpe, have signed the Gold Coast back-rower, Luke Swain, on a two-year contract in preparation for their return to Super League next season.

Comments