Round Up: Hall's flash of brilliance hauls Hull into top four

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Hull FC leapfrogged Leeds Rhinos to reclaim fourth place in the Super League with a 28-22 victory over Bradford Bulls at the Grattan Stadium yesterday, condemning the home side to a seventh consecutive defeat in all competitions.

With the scores locked at 22-22 after the Bulls' superb second-half comeback, Jordan Tansey's searing run saw Craig Hall score the deciding try in an enthralling game.

The Black and Whites had suffered four defeats in seven fixtures when Long had previously been missing this season, but the Bulls' resolve was tested from the outset. Tom Briscoe, Tansey, Danny Tickle and Kirk Yeaman all scored to give Hull the advantage and the half-time hooter was welcomed by a chorus of boos from the Bulls faithful. Despite looking dead and buried, the Bulls' tremendous spirit saw them level the game when, after scores from Brett Kearney and Chris Nero, substitute Danny Addy bounced over the line. However, all their hard work was undone by Tansey's flash of inspiration.

Castleford ended a tough week off the field on a high as the Tigers recorded a fourth successive Super League win by beating Huddersfield at The Jungle to move into a play-off spot.

The West Yorkshire side were fined £40,000 earlier this week – a penalty the club have since appealed against – after their supporters directed homophobic chants at Crusaders' wing Gareth Thomas. But the off-field controversy had little effect on Terry Matterson's side as they put a dent in the Giants' own play-off aspirations.

Peter Fox claimed a quick-fire second-half double as Hull KR struck a savage blow against Wakefield in the play-off race. Fox's fine scoring aside, it was a largely low-quality encounter and memorable for a dreadful mistake by the Wakefield stand-off Paul Cooke, which gifted his former club their second try.

Wigan consolidated their lead at the top of Super League last night with a 34-16 win over Catalan Dragons. Wigan ran in six tries, with Pat Richards bagging one to tie with Warrington's Chris Riley as the league's top try scorer. The Dragons, taking advantage of Andy Coley's red card, responded with two tries from Clint Greenshields and one from Cyril Stacul.