Round-up: Hull KR build on recent revival with blitz of Wakefield

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Hull KR continued their overdue revival, recording back-to-back wins for the first time this season with a 70-14 blitz of Wakefield.

The game was close for most of the first half, but then the Robins struck with four tries in the seven minutes before the break.

Three players – Kris Welham, Liam Colbon and Peter Fox – finished with hat-tricks and the damage would have been even greater but for Michael Dobson enduring a rare off-day with his goal-kicking. The result leaves Rovers with a real chance of making the play-offs, despite a dismal first half of the season.

The Catalan Dragons maintained their excellent form by beating Bradford 34-28, despite playing almost half the game with 12 men.

David Ferriol was sent off for a high tackle on James Donaldson.That should have been the signal for the Bulls, with a morale-boosting victory at Leeds last week under their belts, to finish the job. Instead, it was the short-handed Dragons who finished the stronger, with Clint Greenshields and Damien Blanch scoring a second try apiece.

The star of the show, however, was Steve Menzies, 37, who played stand-off to great effect, setting up three tries and saving one with a magnificent cover tackle. Small wonder that the Dragons are in negotiation with him over a new contract, which will make him Super League's oldest ever player.

Leeds produced what their coach, Brian McDermott, called their best performance of a difficult season, but it was not quite enough to snatch victory at Wigan. Danny McGuire thought he had won it with a try five minutes from time, but it was disallowed by the video referee, and the Warriors clung on 26-24. Winger Zak Hardaker had earlier scored two tries as the Rhinos threatened a major upset.

Warrington kept their noses in front with a convincing 48-18 win at Castleford, despite the absence of Lee Briers and Adrian Morley. Matt King underlined his value to the Wolves with a hat-trick of tries in his first match since announcing he is leaving at the end of the season.

St Helens stayed in touch with a solid 28-14 win over Hull, with Francis Meli scoring two of their tries. The England winger Tom Briscoe crossed twice for Hull.

Salford made it four wins in five as they maintained their unlikely push for a play-off place, but they left it late against Harlequins. The London side led 18-14 with 10 minutes to play, but Ashley Gibson's second try, saw the City Reds home 26-18.