St George coach to miss Challenge
St George-Illawarra are preparing for Sunday's World Club Challenge against Wigan without their coach, Wayne Bennett.
Bennett has flown home to Australia because his mother-in-law is seriously ill, leaving his assistant Steve Price in charge at the DW Stadium. "It is important that I am with my family at this difficult time," he said. "I'm happy with the team's preparation and I'm confident they will put up a quality performance."
The St George captain, Ben Hornby, said that the team's thoughts were with their coach. "Naturally, we would like to have Wayne with us on Sunday, but we understand," he said.
There is speculation Bennett will be back at Brisbane next year, following the Broncos' sacking of Ivan Henjak this week. Price is a backroom man with the Dragons who has worked his way through the coaching ranks at the club.
The Leeds captain, Kevin Sinfield, has agreed a new four-year contract that will keep him at his only professional club until he is 34. "We have something special at Leeds and it is not something you can put a price or a transfer fee on," he said.
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Liverpool close in on £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
Italy Under-21s 2 Spain Under-21s 4 match report: Thiago Alcantara's hat-trick seals European Championship for Spanish youngsters
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf