Warrington 16 Hull 26: Whiting’s two late tries deliver shock to Warrington


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Two late scores from Richard Whiting gave resilient Hull a shock win over one of Super League’s pacesetters last night.

The versatile Whiting has played almost everywhere in the backs for the club, but is now filling in – to great effect – in the second row. The shame was that many Hull fans missed his contribution thanks to the closure of the M62 because of a tanker crash.

Hull hope they have solved their perennial half-back problems by signing the Australian Jacob Miller, who they expect to join them in a couple of weeks, but it is the returned Englishman Gareth Ellis upon whom much of the hope for the rest of their season hinges.

It was alert work from the Test second-rower, in his third match for his new club, that almost produced the game’s first try, as he scooped up a loose pass and sent Tom Lineham racing away, only for the video referee to spot an obstruction.

Warrington should have taken the lead when a glorious off-load from Trent Waterhouse, leading Wolves for the first time, sent Ryan Atkins through, but his pass to Chris Riley went to ground..

It took 28 minutes to break the deadlock, Lee Briers putting in a crafty grubber kick which Simon Grix reached inches before the dead-ball line.

Three minutes later, Briers bustled his way through and passed to Richie Myler. Joel Monaghan won the contest for possession of Myler’s kick and touched down.

Hull hit back just before half-time when Wolves’ Australia-bound Mike Cooper lost the ball in a tackle and Aaron Heremaia’s well-judged kick released Tom Briscoe.

Warrington re-asserted themselves seven minutes after the interval, another pin-point kick from Myler allowing Atkins to touch down. But back came Hull with a try from Lineham. Whiting’s converted first try two minutes later tied the scores.

With 10 minutes to go Whiting crashed over again. Then Briscoe’s chip and chase for the final Hull try was the proverbial icing on the cake.

Warrrington: Ratchford; J Monaghan, Grix, Atkins, C Riley; Briers, Myler; Wood, Higham, Hill, Waterhouse, Westwood, Cooper. Substitutes used: M Monaghan, Carvell, Currie, G Riley.

Hull: McDonnell; Lineham, Crooks, Yeaman, Briscoe; Holdsworth, Horne; O’Meley, Houghton, Green, Ellis, Whiting, Pitts. Substitutes used: Johnson, Heremaia, Lynch, Bowden.

Referee: R Silverwood (RFL).