Warrington 38 Hull KR 20: Lowes' honeymoon survives breathless comedy of errors

Click to follow
The Independent Online

James Lowes' honeymoon as Warrington's caretaker coach goes on after a strong second-half performance against Hull KR yesterday put the Wolves in control after a breathless first period. "It was another step in the right direction," Lowes said, although for much of the game the Wolves were as hit and miss as their visitors.

"It was inexcusable, that kind of play from some of our experienced players," said Rovers' coach, Justin Morgan.

His team's confidence is low at the moment and they were given a further illustration of the unforgiving nature of the game when David Mills lost the ball after five minutes, attempting an impossible pass. Warrington sensed their chance and Ben Westwood scored from a short pass by Lee Briers.

Rovers survived two more errors, Paul Cooke and Ben Fisher kicking straight into touch, and then equalised when Chris Chester found Peter Fox with a long pass and took a juggling return to score.

Three minutes later, Warrington were opened up equally easily on the other flank, Fisher getting the second Robins try.

They could not stop making basic blunders, however, and after Mills and Shaun Briscoe had made a mess of the restart, Martin Gleeson levelled the scores.

When it became Briers' turn to put the ball out on the full, Briscoe made up for his mistake by taking a pass from Fisher and diving low to put his side back in front.Rovers would have been better placed if Fox had not then been pulled back for a knock-on. From the scrum Ben Harrison's try, converted by Chris Hicks, gave Warrington a two-point half-time lead.

Paul Rauhihi scored from Westwood's smart pass and Cooke made matters worse by putting his kick-off dead. Warrington scored again through Chris Riley.

Warrington scored the best of the tries when Jon Clarke and Michael Monaghan split the defence for Briers, who later intercepted from Cooke and went 60 metres to score. Fox's try after the final hooter was a consolation for Rovers.

Warrington: Hicks; Riley, Martin Gleeson, Grix, King; Briers, Monaghan; Morley, Clarke, Rauhihi, L Anderson, Westwood, V Anderson. Substitutes used: Mark Gleeson, Parker, Bracek, Harrison.

Hull Kingston Rovers: Briscoe; Fox, Cockayne, Webster, Fitzhenry; Cooke, Dobson; Mills, Fisher, Vella, J Netherton, Lovegrove, Chester. Substitutes used: Crossman, Welham, K Netherton, Watts.

Referee: B Thaler (Wakefield).