Warrington 46 Hull 24: Briers provides inspiration to unleash ravenous Wolves

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Five unanswered tries after the break brought the Wolves their first victory of the season, after they had been 20-6 down.

"When you're on the ropes, you've got to ask your senior players questions and they've answered the call," said the Warrington coach, Paul Cullen, who revealed that Briers had been one of the worst affected by a virus this week. "He was touch and go all they way."

Warrington made an off-colour start, conceding two tries in the first 11 minutes. The first of them owed a good deal to bad luck, when they were harshly penalised when Shaun Briscoe knocked on. The rest of it was their own fault, as Brent Grose fumbled Paul Cooke's low kick to gift Danny Brough the try.

Toa Kohe-Love's dropped ball set the scene for the second, Cooke kicking ahead on the first tackle for Kirk Yeaman to pounce. With three goals from Brough, Hull already looked on their way. Warrington's only respite was a fine individual try from Jon Clarke, but even he turned villain immediately after, conceding the possession to allow Yeaman to claim his second from Briscoe's short pass.

Again a moment of individual brilliance kept Wolves in touch, Briers sidestepping through for a try to which he added his second goal. His half-back partner, Chris Bridge, then had his kick picked off for the most spectacular try of the half, Gareth Raynor going 90 metres.

Undeterred, Briers kicked for the same wing to enable Henry Fa'afili to score and Briers' touchline conversion kept the margin to six points at the break.

After 15 minutes of the second half, Warrington were ahead, thanks to Fa'afili's second try and one set up for Mike Wainwright by Briers and Clarke.

Now they were rampant and a wonderful handling move took the ball from one side of the field to the other for Richie Barnett to score against his former club.

Bridge went over from Mark Gleeson's pass before Briers fittingly dominated the final minutes, with a couple of drop goals and an interception from Sid Domic, with which he unselfishly set up Fa'afili for his hat-trick.

Warrington: Grose; Fa'afili, Martin Gleeson, Kohe-Love, Barnett; Briers, Bridge; Leikvoll, Clarke, Wood, Noone, Wainwright, Westwood. Substitutes used: Sullivan, Mark Gleeson, Hilton, Lima.

Hull: Briscoe; Tony, Whiting, Yeaman, Raynor; Horne, Brough; Thackray, Swain, King, Radford, Domic, Cooke. Substitutes used: Blacklock, McMenemy, Higgins, Carvell.

Referee: R Silverwood (Mirfield).