Warrington suffer first home defeat against Widnes

Warrington Wolves 16 Widnes Vikings 24
Click to follow

Widnes recorded their first win of the Super League season yesterday with a wholly unexpected victory over the Challenge Cup semi-finalists Warrington.

The Vikings responded in magnificent fashion after their 46-0 hammering by Leeds last week to become the first side to win at the Wolves' new home.

Widnes' coach Neil Kelly said: "We have all questioned whether it was within us to do it but now we have got the win we realise how much it meant to us. You have to experience it to realise the emotions involved but it is only two points and we have to get back down to earth quickly and prepare to face Hull on Monday.

"We have seen the level of commitment needed to try and get the result. We said during the week that if we won against Warrington a lot of our supporters would forgive every sin we have committed so far this year, because we recognised the importance of the game."

The sides were level 12-12 at the interval but the visitors grabbed two vital scores in the second half to claim a famous win over their arch-rivals.

Three minutes into the second half, Nicky Royle was sent clear by Jules O'Neill and the Widnes winger sprinted 60 metres down the touchline for a thrilling try. The Wolves responded when prop Danny Lima pulled a try back, diving over from close range to cut the deficit to two points at 18-16.

But hard-working Widnes hooker Shane Millard crashed over from close range on 56 minutes which turned out to be the match-winning try, although he injured himself in the process.

Warrington had made the perfect start and were ahead after just six minutes when a smart pass by Mike Forshaw sent Jerome Guisset clear and the French second-row forward raced 30 metres to score and Paul Noone landed a fine touchline conversion. But, after weathering the early storm, Widnes hit back with two tries in seven minutes to take the lead. Excellent approach work by Steve Rowlands and Aaron Moule sent Chris Giles over and then an excellent grubber kick by O'Neill caused panic in the Warrington defence and Simon Finnegan was on hand to touch down.

O'Neill added both conversions to give the visitors a 12-6 advantage. But three minutes before the break, Guisset blasted through two attempted tackles to claim his second try and Noone's conversion levelled matters at the interval.

Warrington Wolves: Cardiss, Noone, Grose, Westwood, Sibbit, Hulse, N Wood, P. Wood, Clarke, Hilton, Guisset, Wainwright, Forshaw. Replacements: Gleeson, Varkulis, Stevens, Lima.

Widnes Vikings: Rowlands, Royle, Hughes, Moule, Giles, J O'Neill, S. Myler, Relf, Millard, Mills, Hay, Wozniak, Finnigan. Replacements: Atcheson, McCurrie, Bird, J O'Neill.

Referee: R Laughton (Selby).