Wigan 33 Hull 34 match report: Jason Crookes leads way as Hull make amends for Wembley loss


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Two late drop goals from Daniel Holdsworth prevented Wigan from showing that whatever their Challenge Cup-winning senior players can do to Hull, their young reserves can do too.

Wigan's attitude seemed clear enough from a line-up that included just six members of their 17-strong Wembley squad. Even with the inclusion of Andy Powell, the average age was a mere 21.

Mind you, Hull made five changes from the side that performed so lamely at Wembley. They certainly got a new sense of purpose from Jason Crookes, with a hat-trick of tries; in fact, the whole match was a more watchable affair.

Hull took the lead when Crookes squeezed in at the corner, with Danny Tickle kicking the goal from the side-line.

It took the young men of Wigan some time to find their rhythm and, when they did, it was with the intervention of the 32-year-old substitute Powell, who blasted through for his first try for the club.

Hull soon restored their lead through Jamie Shaul's pass to Tom Briscoe, improved by another superb conversion by Tickle. Wigan were ahead by half-time, however, Ben Flower getting over after first being robbed of the ball on the line and Ryan Hampshire cashing in on Anthony Gelling's break.

The young winger Joe Burgess scored his first try for the club to stretch Wigan's lead. Iain Thornley was next, as Hull failed to deal with a high kick. Crookes got two back for the visitors, before Joe Westerman brought them level.

Sam Powell's high kick then got away from Shaul for Gelling to claim the winner in a game that would have done Wembley proud.

Wigan Tierney; Burgess, Gelling, Thornley, Manfredi; Hampshire, S. Powell; Crosby, L Tomkins, Dudson, Lloyd, Hughes, Tuson. Substitutes used Taylor, Flower, Greenwood, A Powell.

Hull Shaul; Crookes, Whiting, Yeaman, T Briscoe; Holdsworth, Miller; Watts, Houghton, Bowden, Kent, Tickle, Westerman. Substitutes used Horne, Green, Johnson, Pitts.

Referee J Child (Dewsbury).