Wigan resist fightback to reach summit
Josh Charnley got three tries as Wigan moved to the top of the
Super League table last night with a 36-22 win over Hull KR at the
JJB Stadium but had to withstand a late rally from the visitors
when the game seemed to be in the bag.
In the night's other game, St Helens brushed aside Wakefield 38-12 with a eight-try show at Langtree Park to record their third Super League win in a row. Chris Flannery swept over for a hat-trick and Sol Soliola crossed twice as Saints warmed up for Saturday's Carnegie Cup quarter-final at Wigan in style.
Wakefield trailed 22-6 at half-time with James Roby scoring a memorable long-range try for Saints in the second half.
Saints piled up 98 points in their two league wins last season over Wakefield who fell behind to a Flannery try after six minutes. They hit back almost immediately through Dean Collis but Soliola then took a Wellens' pass to stretch over the line to make it 12-6. He then grabbed his second try after taking Roby's pass to dart 30 yards and outpace the Wildcats cover.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.