Yeaman fires Hull home in pulsating derby

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Martin Gleeson marked his Hull debut with a try as his new club outlasted Hull KR to win the Humberside derby 36-18.

The former Great Britain centre, released by Wigan after disciplinary problems last month, scored the last try of a pulsating, fluctuating first half at the KC Stadium, putting Hull ahead for the third time.

They had made the initial inroads with Kirk Yeaman's brilliant first try, after a mazy run by Tom Briscoe. Matt Cook – playing in place of the de-registered Willie Mason, who watched from the dug-out and is almost certainly headed to French rugby union – tied it up, before Sean Long put the Airlie Birds in front again.

A pass from Michael Dobson – replacing Mason on Rovers' overseas quota – put Kris Welham in for the second equaliser, but Gleeson's first Hull try, showing much of his old power and footwork, gave them a lead they were never to lose.

Although both Gleeson and Richard Whiting were kept out by some exceptional defence at the start of the second half, Whiting eventually made the breakthrough.

Ben Cockayne's try threatened to bring the Robins back into it, but Hull finished the stronger with tries by Yeaman and Briscoe, and Danny Tickle taking his goal tally to six.

Yeaman's second try was the product of an incredible pass off the ground from Willie Manu – a moment that epitomised a high-quality contest between these closest of rivals.

Last really can beat first in Super League this year – and Crusaders and Huddersfield proved it at the Racecourse Ground. The Welsh side caught the Giants cold in the first half, building a 20-point lead and winning by a jaw-dropping 32-6. But the Crusaders' time off the bottom of Super League was short-lived as Wakefield overhauled them with a stunning comeback win over Castleford. The Wildcats fought back from 20 points down with tries from Kieran Hyde, Josh Griffin, Paul Johnson and Frankie Mariano to stun the visitors.

The Catalan Dragons made it four wins in a row, but it was only in the last few minutes that they got their noses in front of Harlequins at the Stoop. Grégory Mounis scored the equalising try and the outstanding Scott Dureau put the Catalans ahead with a drop-goal before also improving Cyril Stacul's last-minute try for a 37-30 win.

There was precious little drama at The Willows, where Warrington thrashed Salford 60-0. Last weekend's 56 points for the City Reds against Bradford soon became a distant memory as Lee Briers and Rhys Williams weighed in with two tries apiece.