Alex Thomson in bid to rejoin Hugo Boss
Friday 07 January 2011
While appendix surgery just 48 hours before hoping to start the Barcelona doublehanded non-stop round the world race has allowed Alex Thomson to be in on the birth of son Oscar with partner Kate, he is now in a race to rejoin the yacht, Hugo Boss.
The Open 60 is lying last of the 14 which started on New Year’s Eve with Wouter Verbraak as substitute skipper alongside Andy Meiklejohn. The swap, which could take place in the Azores, needs to be organised by Monday.
The race is still led by defending titleholder Jean-Pierre Dick, this time sailing with Loick Peyron, followed by Michel Desjoyeaux and Francois Gabart with the Swiss pairing of Dominique Wavre and Michelle Paret third.
The Anglo-Spanish all-woman duo of Dee Caffari and Anna Corbella is ninth.
Latest in Sport
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia