Groupama notch first win of the Volvo Ocean Race
Spain’s Telefónica secured overall victory on the second leg of the Volvo round the world race with a strong second place on the sprint finish, but the last word went to France’s Groupama as they notching up its first win of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12, snatching top spot ahead of their rivals in the dying moments of the sprint into Abu Dhabi.
Franck Cammas edged Goupama past Iker Martinez on Telefónica just over 10 miles from the Abu Dhabi finish line, claiming victory in the 98-nautical mile sprint from the northern United Arab Emirates by just 52 seconds to take a maximum six points.
Telefónica, the overall race leaders, are the Leg 2 winners with 29 points following their first place in Stage 1 from Cape Town to the undisclosed ‘safe haven’ in the Indian Ocean.
The second Spanish entry Camper, managed by Team New Zealand, was third scoring four points finished 50 seconds ahead of the American-flagged Puma. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, skippered by Ian Walker, was fifth.
As a safety measure to deter piracy, race organisers split the second leg into two stages. After racing to the safe haven port, the boats were loaded onto a ship and transported through the worst affected waters to the northern United Arab Emirates.
They were then unloaded with racing resuming with a 98 nautical mile sprint into Abu Dhabi, the first time the race has visited the Middle East in its 38-year history.
Team Sanya, the sixth team in this edition of the race, is currently in Madagascar making repairs to their rig.. Once the rig is repaired the team will race to the safe haven port where they will meet the fleet for the second stage of Leg 3.
Leg 2 Stage 2 results*:
1. Groupama sailing team, 6 pts,
2. Team Telefónica, 5 pts,
3. Camper, 4 pts,
4. Puma, 3 pts,
5. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, 2 pts
Overall Leg 2 results*:
1. Team Telefónica 29 pts
2. Camper 24
3. Puma 19
4. Groupama 18
5. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing 10
Overall leaderboard after Leg 2*:
1. Telefónica 66 pts
2. Camper 58
3. Groupama 42
4. Puma 28
5. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing 19
6. Team Sanya 4*
* Team Sanya will pick up the following points if they complete Leg 2 Stage 1 under race rules: 4 points for Leg 2 Stage 1; 1 point for Leg 2 Stage 2
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria reveals wish to return to Argentina - but don't worry Manchester United fans...
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Robin van Persie reveals Louis van Gaal wants Manchester United to 'be more Dutch and pull on the same rope'
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so