Golf: Torrance falls to Hoch
Monday 06 January 1997
Norman cruised to a 5 and 4 victory over Sasaki in the pounds 2.4m event in Scottsdale, Arizona, while Torrance described his 4 and 2 defeat by Hoch as "like running into a brick wall". The American winner reeled off seven birdies and an eagle, and said: "It doesn't get a whole lot better. I had only one poor shot."
It took Hoch a while to shrug off Torrance. Both players birdied the second and third holes before the American eagled the par-four fourth with a six-iron from 172 yards and took a telling advantage at the 10th.
"Scott played great," Torrance said. "On the front nine we knocked the flag out every hole. The back nine was frustrating. Ten was a killer because it looked like I was going to get back to all square."
Norman, who lost the first hole to Sasaki's birdie, won the next four and ended the match by sinking a bunker shot from 20ft for a birdie at the 14th.
Scores, Digest, page 19
Latest in Sport
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...