Ballesteros prepares to end self-imposed exile
Thursday 29 August 2002
Seve Ballesteros yesterday insisted he had never thought about retiring after ending his two-month exile from the game.
Ballesteros has not played since being disqualified from the Irish Open in June for signing for a wrong score after running up a 12 on the final hole in his first-round 89. The 45-year-old immediately pulled out of the Open at Muirfield, ending his run of 27 consecutive appearances, and speculation was rife that he was contemplating ending a career which has brought him five majors and more than 80 other victories worldwide.
However, as the Spaniard prepared for the £1.2m BMW International Open which starts here today, he insisted the thought of retirement had not crossed his mind. "I was just resting for a while, I did not think about retiring," said Ballesteros, who has made just one cut in the five tournaments he has played this season. "But a lot of people wrote to me, they thought that was it.
"It was a difficult and sad decision to miss the Open but I did not feel good. I thought it was better for me to stay and rest because I was not very comfortable. I was not doing well and I did not want to show up and suffer. I preferred to do what I did, I think it was the right decision.
"I enjoyed being with my family, swimming and fishing and playing golf with my kids. I have nothing to prove. I want to enjoy my golf and if I do, the rest will come.
"I can't control what people write about, I did not really care or pay much attention. I don't worry about what people think or say. I worry about me, I do what I feel is right to be happy."
Ballesteros received hundreds of letters from supporters and phone calls from fellow Spaniards Jose Maria Olazabal and Miguel Angel Jimenez urging him to carry on playing. "It was nice that they were all thinking about me, I really appreciated it," added Ballesteros, who used his time off to inspect two courses he is building near Madeira and San Roque.
John Daly returns to Germany to defend the title he won last year, as does the man he beat by a shot, Padraig Harrington.
"It's good to see Seve back," Harrington said. "He brings something to every tournament without a doubt. We would all like to see him playing well but he has to eventually sit back and realise he has nothing to prove. He has won five majors and who else is going to do that?"
Latest in Sport
Liverpool injury news: Simon Mignolet set to replace injured Brad Jones but Dejan Lovren and Glen Johnson remain on the sidelines
Manchester United injury news: Angel Di Maria unlikely to face Spurs as Marouane Fellaini's 'mystery illness' turns out to be rib injury
Arsenal vs QPR player ratings: Could anyone outshine new Gunners hero Alexis Sanchez and who was worse than villain Olivier Giroud?
Manchester City team news: Manuel Pellegrini hopes to have Vincent Kompany back for Burnley visit but hopes not to risk Stevan Jovetic
Neil Warnock sacked: Tim Sherwood fits role at Crystal Palace
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times