Els and Garcia fail to make cut
Saturday 26 June 2010
Welshman Bradley Dredge leads the BMW International Open at the halfway stage, with star attractions Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia out of the event.
Dredge, still clinging to the hope that he might make the Ryder Cup on home soil in October, grabbed two eagles in a second-round 67, which leaves him 13 under par and one ahead of Spaniard Pablo Larrazabal.
But fatigue appeared to catch up with Els when he dropped three late shots and narrowly failed to grab the eagle he needed on the par-five last.
Garcia was also at Pebble Beach, but there was far more behind his woeful performance than just jetlag. Wearing the colours of the Spanish soccer team did nothing for the 30-year-old as his slump continued.
For the first time as a professional, Garcia has missed back-to-back cuts on European soil and his nine-over 36-hole total after rounds of 77 and 76 was his worst on this side of the Atlantic since the 1999 Open at Carnoustie.
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Besiktas vs Arsenal: Arsene Wenger hits out at Aaron Ramsey red card decision
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict