McIlroy gains consolation with place in world's top 10
Rory McIlroy has broken into the world's top 10 for the first time after his third-place finish at the Dubai World Championship on Sunday.
The Ulsterman, at 20 years six months, is the second-youngest player to have reached 10th place and joins Lee Westwood, Paul Casey, Padraig Harrington, Henrik Stenson and Sergio Garcia as European representatives in the elite group.
Americans still occupy the top three positions through Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Steve Stricker.
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail