Olazabal fit to lead Ryder Cup defence
Friday 17 December 2010
Jose Maria Olazabal is expected to be named as Europe's Ryder Cup captain in Abu Dhabi on 18 January.
The Spaniard has been battling rheumatic pains for well over a decade and played in only one tournament in the first nine months of this year, but he has reportedly accepted the Ryder Cup tournament committee's offer to succeed the Scot Colin Montgomerie when Europe defend the trophy in Chicago in two years' time.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Edward Heath 'raped 12 year-old boy at Mayfair flat'
- 2 London is the most googled city in the world
- 3 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
- 5 Richard Dawkins ridicules Sabrina Corgatelli for claiming her giraffe kill was 'ethical'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke