Olazabal fit to lead Ryder Cup defence
Friday 17 December 2010
Jose Maria Olazabal is expected to be named as Europe's Ryder Cup captain in Abu Dhabi on 18 January.
The Spaniard has been battling rheumatic pains for well over a decade and played in only one tournament in the first nine months of this year, but he has reportedly accepted the Ryder Cup tournament committee's offer to succeed the Scot Colin Montgomerie when Europe defend the trophy in Chicago in two years' time.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'