R&A insists: we will weather the storm
The R&A says there will be no repeat at Lytham of the weather chaos suffered at the Formula One grand prix at Silverstone despite a forecast of further heavy rain over the next two days.
Chief executive Peter Dawson said: "We have rain but we will cope with it. Our car park contingency is very strong. There is only one of our car parks that could be a problem and we have hard standing elsewhere, so we are not into a Silverstone situation." Dawson also defended the course against accusations of unplayable rough: "The rough is up but the course is reasonably generous on width."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage