Revamp for Open qualifying
Tuesday 29 October 2013
Open Championship qualifying is to change with the introduction of a new international qualifying series, the Royal and Ancient has announced.
The Open Qualifying Series replaces International Final Qualifying and will use existing global Tour events. It will involve 10 existing worldwide Tour events offering Open qualification in addition to the four UK final qualifying events for next year’s Open at Hoylake.
“We have been thinking about some changes for a long time,” said the R&A chief executive, Peter Dawson.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc