Singh's thrilling win
Tuesday 04 May 2004
Vijay Singh zoomed past Joe Ogilvie for his second successive Monday victory, sinking a 25-foot birdie putt at the 18th hole to close a spectacular back nine and win a three-way shoot-out at the HP Classic yesterday. Justin Rose finished joint fifth.
Singh played the final eight holes in seven under par to erase a six-stroke deficit. He came home in 29 to cap a nine under 63 and edge the unheralded Ogilvie by a shot at 22 under for a 266 total. The Fijian, ranked second in the world, was nearly forced to a play-off when Ogilvie left his bunker blast on the left edge of the closing hole.
Singh has made a habit of winning on Mondays, having claimed last week's rain-plagued Houston Open on the extra day. He has won the last three Monday finishes on the PGA Tour.
Rose, who led the Masters for the first two rounds, finished five shots behind Singh here, after continuing his fine form by finishing with a 69 after his third round of 65.
* Becky Morgan fell a shot shy of becoming the first Welsh winner on the LPGA Tour n a thrilling finish at the Chick-fil-A Charity Championship in Atlanta on Sunday. Jennifer Rosales, from the Philippines, claimed her first title, with Morgan in a four-way tie for second.
Regular cast member Ste Hay, played by Kieron Richardson, is about to test TV boundaries
Latest in Sport
Fernando Alonso leaves Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel confirmed as Alonso's replacement for 2015 season
Sami Khedira: Arsenal and Chelsea target signs pre-contract with Bayern Munich - reports
Daniel Sturridge injury latest: Brendan Rodgers ready to buy a striker as setback rocks Liverpool
Amir Khan exclusive: 'Manny Pacquiao has been beaten in his last few fights, beating Floyd Mayweather would be massive'
Louis van Gaal: the liberal, the enemy and... err, the poet
- 1 Lee Evans announces retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 2 Pirelli calendar 2015: The problem with 'plus-size' models like Candice Huffine
- 3 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
G20 summit: Enter Putin. Accompanied by four warships. To the sound of mockery
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
David Cameron 'compares Vladimir Putin’s Russia to Nazi Germany' ahead of tense meeting
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
G20 summit: David Cameron warns Vladimir Putin that Russia's relationship with the West is at a 'fork in the road' over Ukraine