Singh's thrilling win
Tuesday 04 May 2004
Vijay Singh zoomed past Joe Ogilvie for his second successive Monday victory, sinking a 25-foot birdie putt at the 18th hole to close a spectacular back nine and win a three-way shoot-out at the HP Classic yesterday. Justin Rose finished joint fifth.
Singh played the final eight holes in seven under par to erase a six-stroke deficit. He came home in 29 to cap a nine under 63 and edge the unheralded Ogilvie by a shot at 22 under for a 266 total. The Fijian, ranked second in the world, was nearly forced to a play-off when Ogilvie left his bunker blast on the left edge of the closing hole.
Singh has made a habit of winning on Mondays, having claimed last week's rain-plagued Houston Open on the extra day. He has won the last three Monday finishes on the PGA Tour.
Rose, who led the Masters for the first two rounds, finished five shots behind Singh here, after continuing his fine form by finishing with a 69 after his third round of 65.
* Becky Morgan fell a shot shy of becoming the first Welsh winner on the LPGA Tour n a thrilling finish at the Chick-fil-A Charity Championship in Atlanta on Sunday. Jennifer Rosales, from the Philippines, claimed her first title, with Morgan in a four-way tie for second.
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Transfer deadline day: The best memes and tweets, featuring Radamel Falcao, Javier Hernandez and Bart Simpson
Radamel Falcao analysis: Manchester United have signed a top talent yet to hit his stride
Danny Welbeck signs for Arsenal: Gunners confirm signing of striker from Manchester United
Radamel Falcao to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal takes transfer spend beyond £140m - SIXTH most of any Premier league manager
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain