Stenson cruises to nine-shot Nedbank win
Monday 08 December 2008
Sweden's Henrik Stenson cruised to victory in the Nedbank Challenge at the Gary Player Country Club here yesterday. He carded a closing 68 for a 21-under-par total of 267 and nine-shot victory over Ryder Cup rival Kenny Perry, whose 65 was the best round of the day.
Robert Karlsson finished a distant third on nine under par. South African Rory Sabbatini was a shot further back in fourth, a stroke ahead of Ryder Cup team-mates Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood who returned rounds of 70 and 72 respectively.
Former European No 1 Justin Rose was ninth after a final 72, while Luke Donald's comeback from a serious wrist injury saw him finish 11th in the 12-man field on four over par.
Stenson dominated the tournament after opening with a course-record 63 and went into the final round with a commanding eight-shot lead. "I'm really happy with this victory, it's a fantastic way to finish the season," he said. "I have really enjoyed the week. The greens were in immaculate condition and the course looked as good as I have ever seen it."
The 32-year-old finished second on his debut in the event in 2006 and added: "I wanted to go one better. I had such a big lead and that took away a little from the excitement, but nothing takes away from winning."
* Geoff Ogilvy shot a 3-under-par 69 to win the Australian PGA championship at Coolum, Queensland by two strokes. Ogilvy finished at 14-under after four rounds. Third-round leader Mathew Goggin, who faded with three bogeys in seven holes, finished second after a final round 72.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
food + drink
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Brendan Rodgers says missing out on Spurs job was a 'close shave'
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early