Van de Velde sings praises of McIlroy
Saturday 13 October 2007
Jean Van de Velde became the latest member of the Rory McIlroy fan club after the Frenchman moved into contention for a third European Tour title here.
Van de Velde was paired with McIlroy for the first two rounds of the Madrid Open and, although he outscored the 18-year-old by four shots, was full of praise for the Ulster youngster.
"He was very impressive," said Van de Velde, who carded a second-round 66 for a seven-under-par halfway total of 137, two shots behind joint-leaders Alejandro Canizares and Daniel Vancsik. "He has got all the shots in the bag and he is not scared to play them."
Canizares hit a six-under 66 yesterday to join Vancsik at the top of the leaderboard. They are tied at nine-under, one stroke ahead of Gary Lockerbie on 68.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive rivalry - after the former Manchester United and Arsenal captains shared ice cream in Warsaw
Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography is 'insulting nonsense' says Roy Keane as relationship between Manchester United legends becomes 'non-existent'
Patrick Vieira put Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp up front in 'greatest' Arsenal team - but there's no room for Cesc Fabregas and Marc Overmars
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent