View from the azaleas: Day two at Augusta
Saturday 09 April 2011
Shot of the Day
After finding himself amongst the trees on the eighth, Phil Mickelson brought out a wood to fire a beauty off the pine straw to the green on the way to the unlikeliest of birdies at the par-five. Echoes here of his wonder-shot on the 13th last year as the American charged inexorably towards his third Green Jacket.
Outfit of the Day
Bubba Watson looked positively pearly in an all-white ensemble. Despite looking more like a caddy than a pro, the big-hitting American will be wearing the same outfit for the entire tournament, a first for the Masters.
Shank of the Day
Ian Woosnam, who won here in 1991, hit a fan in the head with his tee-shot off the six. The fan was bandaged up and suffered no serious injuries. The Welshman, whose hip problem meant he had to sit on a shooting stick during his round, gave the fan a ball to ease the pain. Woosnam's pain continued though – he may have hit a fan, but he missed the cut by a mile.
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail