Grey strikes back with record

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Tanni Grey took revenge for her 100 metres defeat by Leann Shannon by beating the 13-year-old American to retain her 800m title in a world record time of 1min 55.11sec.

Grey said: "I knew I had to go really hard to beat her. I had a few guys on the training track pushing me at really high speeds and after that I felt really confident. My tactics were to stay behind her. On the back straight I felt really good. I took her on the final bend and then it was easy. It's nice to know I haven't lost it. I didn't want to come second again."

Grey had unsuccessfully appealed against Shannon's inclusion in the 100m T52 because of the steel rods supporting her spine, which allow her to be more upright and thus in a position of more strength over the shorter distances.

Grey's medal was one of four golds won by Britain on the third day of the Games in Atlanta, taking Britain to third in the overall medals table with 11 gold medals, 12 silver and 11 bronze.

Also on the track, David Holding won the 100m T53 in a world record of 14.45sec and Stephen Payton took the 100m T37. Payton said: "I came out of the blocks first and from there I knew I had won the gold. Now I have two golds I would like to make it three in the 200m."

In the pool, Jim Anderson won Britain's other gold medal in the S2 100m freestyle. Anderson, who finished ahead of his team-mate Alan MacGregor, said: "It is my first Paralympic gold medal and I am delighted. I didn't expect to win. I am a bit emotional about it."

MacGregor said: "The race was so close and I knew I was coming back at him at the end. It's great we have won gold and silver together."

Silver medals were also won by Sarah Bailey (400m S10) and Elaine Barratt (100m B2 breaststroke). Mark Wood overcame the effects of a chest infection to win a bronze medal in the 400m F10 freestyle, won by the popular Dutch swimmer Alwin de Groot.

Britain'sTom Evans lost consciousness after a crash during the cycling road race at Stone Mountain. The incident happened in the finishing straight as Evans, the world champion, was moving out to battle with another cyclist for the silver medal. Evans' front wheel touched that of the cyclist in front, sending him tumbling over the handlebars. Hit hit the ground heavily, cutting his face.

He recovered consciousness before being taken to hospital for a complete check-up.