HOCKEY: Canterbury charge to summit

Click to follow
The Independent Online
STUART HUMPHRIES, with three well-taken goals, led the way for Canterbury in their 8-0 thrashing of Bournville Birmingham University as the Kent club took over the Premier Division leadership. In the only other Premiership game, Cannock beat Hounslow 6-2 to move into second place, with Paul Edwards and Bobby Crutchley each scoring twice.

There was a full programme in the First Division where the leaders, Stourport, on maximum points, lost 3-2 against Loughborough Students after trailing 3-0 to goals from Stewart Keir, David Ralph and Andrew Langlands, before two late goals inside a minute from Jamie Westerman set up a tense final 10 minutes which Students survived.

Surbiton and Havant moved level on points with Stourport. Surbiton, trailing 4-3, were grateful to South African Gregg Clark for two late solo goals to give them a 5-4 victory away to Harleston Magpies, the second completing his hat-trick.

Havant succeeded 4 - 3 away to Barford Tigers with Ian Pattison and Adam Forster each scoring twice. Chelmsford eventually wore down Indian Gymkhana to win 4-1 at Osterley, but will be grateful to a string of fine saves from goalkeeper Paddy Aldridge.

Vicky Sandall scored twice as Ipswich overcame Doncaster 5-2 to keep their unbeaten record and remain three points ahead of Slough at the top of the Women's Premier. Slough, with a game in hand, kept in touch with a 2-1 win at Bristol against Clifton Scottish Life, thanks to goals from Jane Smith and Karen Brown.

Woking, leaders in the Second Division, are the only team with maximum points. They finally crushed a young Ealing side 6-1, thanks mainly to three penalty-stroke goals from Donna Cox, in a game in which both sides put forward strong markers for future success.

The world and Olympic champions, the Netherlands, added the Champions' Trophy to their list yesterday with a 3-1 win over hosts Pakistan in the final in Lahore.

Australia claimed the silver medal by beating South Korea 8-7 in a penalty shoot-out, while a 3-2 victory for Spain left Germany sixth and last.