Hockey: England ignore fresh faces
It would have been a wonderful opportunity to give a first full cap to Jon Ebsworth, voted goalkeeper of the junior event, to include the captain Brett Garrard, already a full international, and introduce Adrian Simons, England's leading goalscorer who was on form last Sunday with a hat-trick for Southgate against Teddington.
Fordham was also on form for Hounslow at the weekend, being the architect of their 6-1 win over Teddington, in addition to scoring twice. It could be he is being punished for a string of temporary suspensions for England. However, this season Fordham's behaviour and form for Hounslow have been exemplary.
With next year's World Cup in Utrecht barely six months away, a first- class opportunity to experiment has been wasted. Nine of the squad remain from the Atlanta Olympics and several hardly seem likely to be contenders for the World Cup.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.