HOCKEY: Jennings runs the show

Click to follow


reports from Canterbury

Guildford 4

Teddington 1

Ian Jennings, the man being considered in some circles to bolster England's European Cup hopes in Dublin in August, scored twice in Guildford's 4- 1 HA Cup final victory yesterday, but it was the way Jennings ran the game throughout that was most impressive as Guildford repeated their National League result against the Cup holders.

After weathering the early Teddington storm, during which Guildford's goalkeeper captain Kevin Priday made a series of brilliant saves, Guildford took the lead in the 19th minute. Danny Hall broke away on the left wing with Richard Markham on hand to open the scoring.

Hall, who many see as the long-term replacement England have craved since the retirement of Sean Kerly, and wearing the same famous No 13 shirt, tore the Teddington defence to shreds and was on hand to slot home Guildford's second in the 25th minute, after Graham Cartmell had taken advantage of an uncharacteristic error by Phil McGuire to provide the cross. Although Teddington pulled a goal back on the interval through their captain, Andy Billson, and reshuffled after the interval, Guildford remained in command.

Teddington had their moments but Priday and his defence held firm and it was left to Jennings to sink two second-half penalty corners, in spite of a series of diving saves at others by Teddington's Garry Meredith - playing in his final game for the club - to reclaim the Cup they last held in 1978. Guildford as Cup winners and Teddington as League champions go forward into Europe next season.

Guildford: K Priday (capt); H Ferguson; J Barker, S Matton, T Robertson; M Morris, I Jennings, R Bisland; G Cartmell, D Hall, R Markham. Substitutes used: N Powell, C Burnell.

Teddington: G Meredith; P Way; J Wallis, P Mcguire, A Colclough; J Laslett, R Irvine, T Moore; P Gibbins, S Nicklin, A Billson (capt). Substitutes used: N D'Mello, M Sully, I Grobler.

Umpires: G Little and K Roper (both NCHUA).

n In Madrid yesterday a goal from Jill Atkins earned England's women a 1-1 draw against Spain. On Friday they lost the first Test 2-1; they beat Spain's Under-21 side 2-1 on Saturday.