Hockey: Johnson turns Varsity match Oxford's way

Hockey: Oxford University 4 Cambridge University 0
Click to follow
The Independent Online
TIM JOHNSON, the Oxford substitute, will remember his first Blue as his University won the 98th Varsity match yesterday to reclaim the Deloitte and Touche Trophy with a comfortable victory.

After an opening 25 minutes in which Cambridge, with their acting captain, Ian Bateman, claiming the midfield, had the better of the exchanges, Oxford struck. Richard Arscott put them ahead with a splendid solo run as the Cambridge defence stood off.

Johnson arrived two minutes before the interval after Belgium's Thierry Gruslin had blocked Mark Darbon to concede a penalty stroke, which Johnson converted confidently. Thirteen minutes into the second half, he struck again after Phil Outram had illegally stopped a Tom Matthews' penalty corner shot. Matthews himself rounded off the scoring with a powerful penalty corner drive eight minutes from time.

Cambridge's fightback had been limited after the initial Oxford goal to isolated raids and a string of penalty corners.

OXFORD UNIVERSITY: L Crofts* (St Catherine's); D Eadie (St Edmund Hall); P Barker (Trinity), J Hodges (Queen's), J Boumphrey (Pembroke); M Darbon (Worcester), R Irvine* (Lincoln, capt), P Barker (Trinity); M Firer (Keble), R Arscott (Keble), T Matthews* (St Edmund Hall). Substitutes used: T Johnson* (Jesus), J Cutress* (Worcester), B Raumann* (St Catharine's).

CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY: H Ward (Emmanuel); R Hudson (Jesus); O Brew* (Emmanuel), P Outram (Queens'), T Parr*; C Lipscomb (both Sidney Sussex), A Cotton (Jesus), I Bateman* (Emmanuel, capt), T Gruslin (Trinity); J Mayer* (St John's), M Stather (Homerton). Substitutes used: M Meredith* (Clare), T Young (Homerton), M Beckford (Jesus), I McClive (St Catharine's).

* denotes Blue.

Umpires: S Crisp & T Kelleher (both SCHUA).

In the women's game, Cambridge came from behind with two goals from deflections by Nat Redpath and Elise Kelly to win a tidy game after Sarah Stirling had given Oxford the lead in the 20th minute.