Inter prepare fresh offer for Cantona

Click to follow
The Independent Online
MARK BURTON

Manchester United have resisted a further approach from Internazionale, involving a possible swap for the former Old Trafford player Paul Ince, to tempt Eric Cantona to Italy.

Italian newspapers reported that Inter officials, who failed to lure the Frenchman during the close season, were preparing a pounds 7m offer when the Italian transfer market reopens for a week on 2 November. Inter have also suggested an exchange deal with Ince, who left United last summer for pounds 7m.

United's chairman, Martin Edwards, said Cantona was not for sale: "It is becoming a bit tedious having this constant speculation involving Inter Milan."

Manchester United have lost Paul Parker, at least in the short-term. The full-back, who missed most of last season following surgery on an ankle, has had a cartilage operation and will be out of action for six weeks.

Sheffield Wednesday yesterday sealed the signings of Darko Kovacevic and Dejan Stefanovic. Wednesday have agreed to pay Red Star Belgrade about pounds 4m for the 21-year-olds, but the deal is subject to work permits being approved.

Pleat, who says he is turning to the foreign market because of the inflated prices being asked by British clubs, previously enquired about Juninho. The Brazilian, signed by Middlesbrough, does not yet know if he will make his Premiership debut at Manchester United on Saturday.

Robson, returning to Old Trafford for the first time since becoming Middlesbrough manager over a year ago, will assess the situation when his pounds 5m signing arrives in England. Juninho, who received his work permit last night but must wait for international clearance, is due to land later this week.

Manchester City have made their first indication of the player they want to help them off the bottom of the Premiership by asking Liverpool about Nigel Clough. "He is among a number of players who I feel could be an asset," City's manager, Alan Ball, said.

John Still became the season's sixth managerial casualty when he resigned from Peterborough United in disgust at his treatment from fans. He had been at the club since May 1994. Peterborough lost 3-0 at Brentford on Saturday, which left his side 17th in the Second Division with three wins from 13 games.

Darren Ferguson has been put on the transfer list at Wolves at his own request. The son of Manchester United's manager Alex, was dropped for Saturday's draw with Watford. The midfielder, who left Old Trafford for Molineux last year, said: "As soon as I play a bad game, I'm out of the side."

Hull City, bottom of the Second Division, face a winding-up order, brought by the Inland Revenue, in the High Court today. Their chairman, Martin Fish, puts the club's chance of surviving the case at "50-50".

n Croatia's national coach, Miroslav Blazevic, is being held in a French prison in connection with a probe into the alleged use of slush funds by Marseille. Blazevic coached Nantes between 1989 and 1991.

Tapie appeal, page 12

Comments