Letter: Wrong thinking
Tuesday 29 June 1999
Well a good manager is important but this fantasy is not a realistic foundation for success in international football. On the contrary. Believing there is a short cut to success, we ignore our deficiencies. Spirit and effort are mystically emphasised - everything else is devalued by implication: technical ability, intelligence, tactics, professionalism, fitness, practising penalty kicks. There is ludicrous optimism and exaggerated expectations, a readiness to look for excuses and scapegoats, and delusional thinking generally.
We need a realist. The trouble with Keegan is that he gives the appearance of believing the myths.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...