McGhee for Molineux?

Endsleigh round-up
Click to follow
The Independent Online
A LAST-MINUTE header by Simon Grayson earned Leicester a point against Barnsley yesterday and lifted them into second place, but it may not be enough to persuade their manager to stay. Mark McGhee has been linked with the managership of Wolves, recently vacated by Graham Taylor, and after the match he refused to rule out the possibility of a move.

"Wolves are a huge club and it is a huge job for someone," he said. "Any manager in the country would be flattered. They are possibly the last of the sleeping giants. But I will be meeting with the board tonight to find out what the exact situation is before I say whether I'm interested."

The new deal for the rights to televise Endsleigh League football looked even more generous after yesterday's other First Division results, when none of the top five won and three were beaten at home. The leaders, Millwall, were beaten 2-1 at the New Den by Watford. The Lions have now gone four matches without a win. The Hornets gained their first win in 11 matches after Kevin Phillips scored twice, a tap-in after 24 minutes and a shot on the run after 33.

The fastest-risers are Stoke, who moved up to sixth after beating Norwich 1-0 at Carrow Road. The Potters withstood enormous pressure and got the vital goal when Nigel Gleghorn connected powerfully with Paul Peschisolido's cut-back.

Grimsby's four-match winning run was ended by Charlton at Blundell Park. Kim Grant's pace opened up the home defence for the Londoners' first goal and David Whyte made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after Gary Croft handled.

There were no happy returns to Roots Hall for Barry Fry where his former charges, Southend, came from behind to beat Birmingham 3-1. And, of course, the Endsleigh world being upside down, the bottom two sides won. Port Vale beat Huddersfield and Luton just had the best of a five-goal thriller against Tranmere.

Reading followed their midweek Coca-Cola Cup defeat of Southampton by beating West Brom 3-1, Albion's seventh consecutive league defeat. To add insult, Reading played the entire second half with their player-manager, the Northern Ireland striker Jimmy Quinn, in goal for the injured Simon Sheppard.