Morceli may miss Sweden
Wednesday 12 April 1995
Noureddine Morceli, at odds again with the International Amateur Athletic Federation chief, Primo Nebiolo, is considering missing this summer's World Championships. In an interview with the French sports newspaper, L'Equipe, Morceli said he may stay away from the event in Sweden.
"We'll see. I'm not sure," he said. "With the World Championships every two years, the competition loses its importance. Every four years would be better. The World Championships have become just meets; it's not like the Olympics. But you have to think about your country, and mine is very important to me. If I compete, it will be for my country, not for money."
Two years ago, Morceli threatened to boycott the World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany, because of a lack of prize-money. But he agreed to compete at the last minute after pressure from Nebiolo. Prize-money will now be offered at the World Championships from 1997.
"I'm not waging war against the IAAF, but for the rights of the athletes," Morceli said. "In Stuttgart, many athletes received money under the table."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...