Morrison gives NZ hope of victory

Click to follow
The Independent Online
West Indies 548-7dec and 147-7 New Zealand 437

Another of the careless collapses that have become part and parcel of West Indies cricket opened up a seemingly dormant Test match to an intriguing final day today, writes Tony Cozier from St John's, Antigua.

When New Zealand were dismissed for 437 mid-afternoon to concede a lead of 111 and Sherwin Campbell and Brian Lara were adding 84 for the West Indies second wicket, a high-scoring draw appeared the inevitable outcome. Then the West Indies, with a false sense of security, lost wickets at regular intervals to wanton strokes to end the day 147 for 7.

Their overall advantage with the final day's minimum 88 overs ahead is 258, with only tailenders remaining. On a placid pitch that yielded 985 runs for 17 wickets over the first innings, New Zealand have a realistic hope that they can achieve an outstanding victory and level the series.

Danny Morrison was their hero, claiming four wickets. He accounted for the first innings century-maker, the left-handed Robert Samuels, lbw to the second ball he received and then returned for a second spell of controlled swing with which he dismissed Shivnarine Chanderpaul, hitting his exposed leg stump, the dangerous Lara, inducing an edged catch to first slip and, finally, Ian Bishop, caught at the wicket.

nA Benson and Hedges Cup game that promised high drama ended in high farce yesterday evening, when Lancashire beat Derbyshire on a faster scoring rate at Chesterfield.

The rain-affected match was set for a thrilling finish after the first day when Lancashire, chasing 138 for victory, slumped to 70 for 6 before rain halted play. More heavy rain prevented the match resuming until 4.20pm, but it then descended into confusion as bad light forced the players from the field again.

At that stage Lancashire were 107 for 7 from 25 overs - the cut-off point when a game can be decided on faster scoring rate. Lancashire were ahead on that count when the light was offered immediately at the end of the 25th over and there were cries of "cheat" as the players headed for the pavilion.

When the umpires decided conditions had improved, Lancashire's target had been reduced to 121 from 44 overs and Warren Hegg and Ian Austin quickly wrapped up the county's third Group A victory.