A McLaren spokesman said at the team headquarters in Woking that Senna would race on Sunday. But a spokesman for the Brazilian said in Rio de Janeiro that Senna had yet to decide. 'He has not made up his mind yet and is still resting at Angra dos Reis where he has been since winning the Brazilian Grand Prix,' he said.
The 33-year-old Brazilian has so far competed on a race-by-race basis, negotiating between the action for a more lucrative contract and an improvement in the team's engine deal.
McLaren gave no indication as to whether Senna would race for the rest of the season, announcing only that he would be partnered by the American, Michael Andretti, at Donington.
Senna has demonstrated his talent in the first two rounds of the championship, taking second place behind Alain Prost's Williams-Renault in South Africa and winning his home race, at Interlagos, nine days ago.
Based on those results, the consensus of opinion is Senna has to drive on for the full championship, which would leave McLaren's third driver, Mika Hakkinen, on the sidelines.
McLaren might now release Hakkinen to fill the vacancy left by Ivan Capelli's departure at Jordan-Hart.Reuse content