Bernie Ecclestone hopes to retain Bahrain Grand Prix

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has returned to the idea of rescheduling the Bahrain Grand Prix in November after abandoning plans for a potential August slot.

Ecclestone had suggested earlier this week running the race during F1's traditional summer break in August, but now concedes the heat would make for unpleasant working and viewing conditions.



The 80-year-old is now looking at the date originally mooted when the event was postponed 11 days ago due to civil unrest in the Gulf kingdom - November 20.



That weekend follows immediately after the grand prix in Abu Dhabi and before the season-ending showdown in Brazil.



It now remains to be seen whether the year would culminate with a brutal schedule of three back-to-back races or whether Brazil would switch to December 4.



"I'm hoping upon hope that things settle peacefully in Bahrain and we can find a slot later on in the year," said Ecclestone.



When asked by BBC Sport how likely that would be, Ecclestone added: "I don't know how likely there will be peace, but if there is then we will find a way.



"We will have a look and see what we can do, how we can swap things around a bit. Maybe we can change it with Brazil, or something like that.



"But forget August. It's too hot for the public to sit in the grandstand at 40-odd degrees (Celsius)."



Ecclestone is determined to stage a race in Bahrain this season, rather than simply forget about it until next year's calendar.



"The people there, and the public, have been big supporters for us, and it (the event) has become bigger and bigger," said Ecclestone.



"We've more support now, much more than when we first started there, and if they want the race then we want to be able to supply it for them.



"If there is peace in Bahrain, we will be there."



A decision is due to be made at next Tuesday's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris.



Comments